Monday, September 14, 2009

The name's Caroline, but you can call me Jessi Claremont.

Second Life is a world that revolves around one main concept: identity. It's a place where people can escape to, where a 5' 2" 130-pound boy can gallivant about as a 6'4" 250-pound superhero, and where a caucasian can experience life as an african-american. It is where a typically shy individual can spread his or her wings and find an entire new world of friends and confidants. Second Life can further emphasize a person's personality traits, or it could change them altogether. Identity can be a shield and, here, it can even be a tool.

When choosing my title I had one criteria, which was that it should be a gender neutral name. The first name that popped into my head was Jesse. I began to try a choose a last name to fit with that name (everything from Wetherby to Popstar), but because Jesse was such a popular first name, I was forced to switch the spelling from an "e" to an "i." This forced concession however worked in my favor because the last name that eventually worked out, which was Claremont, looks much better to me with the "i" ending before it rather than the "e."

I am still getting used to the fact that there are now two of me. I haven't made many changes to the Second Life me, mostly because I have no idea how to change things about me, but I have figured out how to change her outfit. She was born in this ridiculous 80's looking dress that had to go, so now she sports ripped jeans and a tiny Richmond t-shirt. I like her, and although she is technically me I am still getting to know her. This is just the beginning of our relationship.

1 comment:

  1. "Second Life is a world that revolves around one main concept: identity." Not quite a brick-worthy claim, but getting there because of the suitcase word "identity." I can accept that creating what one sees in SL is a way of enhancing one's personal world.

    If you can bring that into the sense of identity, rather than merely having cool hair, skin, and clothes, I would agree with this claim.

    I love that perspective about the polka-dot dress. To me, it looked like a 1950s dress (30 years before I was an undergraduate). If, however, you think *THAT* dress was bad, you should have seen the default avatars from a few years ago. They made stick-figures look great.

    ReplyDelete